The secret of a healthier longer relaxed hair is to understand the nature of our hair strands. Being an African from Nigeria, the nature of our hair strands are known to be tiny curl helix shape. It's grows approximately between 0.5-1 inch per month. Over the years, our hair is process with chemical relaxers to make it straight. These relaxer treatment denatures the keratin protein of the hair, changing the basic nature of hair shaft by losing its elasticity and strength. These effects causes more harm to our hair strands making it weak and prone to breakage. It is very important to undergo a deep condition treatment before and after relaxer treatment. This helps to replace a lost protein and nutients that aids in the growth and strength of the hair.
The secret of a healthy relaxed hair are as following
- Limit the use of relaxers- it is adviced to relaxed our hair every 3 months or more. It helps to keep the hair strands stronger and healthier.
- Low manipulation- avoid excessive combing of hair because it leads to excessive breakage and shedding of hair. Wear a protective style like buns, braids etc.
- Take a lot of water, fruits and vegetables. Water helps to moisturised the hair, fruits and vegetables provides nutrients and vitamins that aids in hair growth.
- Apply conditioner- deep conditioning after washing and co-washing the hair is a must. Conditioners helps to soften the texture of our hair.
- Regular exercise- daily exercise do not only makes us fit but increase the blood flow in the scalp, thereby providing adequate amount of oxygen and nutrients to our hair follicles for hair growth.
- Regular hair wash- washing our hair once a week helps to remove excess build up residues on the hair shaft.
- Use of moisturizers- good hair oils such as glycerine, olive oil, coconut oil etc helps to retain moisture on the hair shaft, prevents hair from drying and brittle.
- Regular trimming of hair tips- after relaxer, trimming of hair helps to improve the thickness of our hair over time. It removes the weakest part of our hair which is the tip and minimise hair breakage.
Here is a picture of my hair. Thanks and have a great day.